Orion Diagnostic & Chiropractic Center - Dr. Khaled Khorshid
Chicago Ridge Medical Center
9830 Ridgeland Ave. Suite 5 - Chicago Ridge, IL 60415
Tel: (708) 288-2239

home / about us / services / research / consultation / testimonials / contact

Powered by Shurouq
© 2009 althealthcarecenter.com
All rights reserved
.

 

Be Wary of the Burden of Backpacks

By Khaled A. Khorshid, M.B.B.Ch., M.S., D.C.   

         Back pain is pervasive among American adults, but a new and disturbing trend is emerging amount of the nation’s youth. Young children are suffering from back pain much earlier than previous generations, and the use of overweight backpacks is a contributing factor, according to Dr. Khaled Khorshid, the Clinic Director of Kentuckiana Children’s Center.

This October during Spinal Health Month, sponsored by the American Chiropractic Association, doctors of chiropractic across the country are urging parents, teachers and school administrators to take steps to help stop this trend.

“this increase in back pain among youngsters into surprising when you consider the disproportionate amounts of weight they carry in their backpacks- often slung over just one shoulder- and the long hours they spend tapping away at computer keyboards,” said Dr. Korshid, “These activities can negatively impact a child’s body during the developing years, resulting in harmful physical effects that can last a lifetime.

According to the American Chiropractic Association’s Council on Occupational Health, a recent study conducted in Italy found that the average child carries a backpack that would be the equivalent of a 39-pound burden for 176-pound man, or a 20-pound load for 132-pound woman. Of these children carrying backpacks to school, 60 percent had experienced back pain as a result. Other studies have shown that slinging a backpack over one shoulder can exacerbate the curvature of the spine in scoliosis patients.

A recently published study conducted by a team of researchers from Cornell University found that 40 percent of the elementary school children studies used computer workstations that put them at postural risk. The remaining 60 percent scored in a range indicating, “some concern”.

What can you do?

  1. Make sure your child’s backpack weights no more than 5 to 10 percent of his or her body weight. A heavier backpack will cause your child to bend forward in an attempt to support the weight on his or her back, rather than on the shoulders, by the straps.
  2. The backpack should never hang more than four inches below the waistline. A backpack that hangs too low increases the weight on the shoulders, causing our child to lean forward when walking.
  3. A backpack with individualized compartments helps the position of the contents most effectively. Make sure that pointy or bulky objects are packed away from the area that will rest on your child’s back.
  4. Bigger is not necessarily better. The more room there is in a backpack, the more your child will carry- and the heavier the backpack will be.
  5. Urge your child to wear both shoulder straps. Lugging the backpack around by one strap can cause the disproportionate shift of weight to one side, leading to neck pain and muscle spasm, as well as low back pain.
  6. Wide, padded straps are very important. Non-padded straps are uncomfortable and can dig into your child’s shoulders.
  7. The shoulder straps should be adjustable so the backpack can be fitted to your child’s body. Straps that are too loose can cause the backpack to dangle uncomfortable and cause spinal problems.
  8. If the backpack is still too heavy, talk to you child’s teacher. Ask if you child could leave the heaviest books at school and bring home only lighter handout materials or workbooks.

“If your child continues to complain of pain and strain from a heavy backpack, see a doctor of chiropractic,” urges Dr. Khorshid, “A doctor of chiropractic can help alleviate your child’s pain and help prevent further injury.”

The article was reprinted with permission of the American Chiropractic Association www.acatoday.com for Dr. Khalid Khorshid, Clinic Director, Kentuckiana Children’s Center, 1810 Brownsboro Road, Louisville, Kentucky. Kentuckiana Children’s Center is a nonprofit center for chiropractic care for children with special needs. For more information about the proper use of backpacks or to contribute to this worthy cause, please call 502-366-5658.